- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- zest from 2 lemons (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 milk with 1.5 tsp of lemon juice added)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer (or with an electrice mixer), cream together the butter and sugar at medium-high speed until they are light and fluffy (about 5 minutes), scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Reduce the mixer to low and add in the eggs 1 at a time. Then add the vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Beat on medium-high until combined.
- Return the mixer to low and add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until almost combined. Add half the buttermilk and mix until just combined. Repeat alternating flour and buttermilk, ending with flour. Mix until just incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes until cake is golden brown.
- Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes in the pan. Release it from the pan, but place it back in the pan. Mix together the 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 3 Tbsp powdered sugar into a syrup. Pour half over the still warm cake and wait 5 minutes. Pour the remainder over the cake and wait another 15 minutes before removing cake from the pan. Allow the cake to cool completely before icing.
- Combine the 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp each of lemon juice and milk and mix until it is thick and smooth. Pour icing over the cake and allow it to dry before serving.
Recipe adapted from Plated Cravings.